WWF and the Republic of Tyva signed the Collaboration Agreement
Conserving nature heritage of the Republic of Tyva is the strategic objective of the Government of Tyva and regional nature conservation organizations. The collaboration agreement was signed on November, 1 2019 in the field of environment conservation by Sholban Kara-ool, the Governor of Tyva and Viktoria Elias, WWF-Russia Conservation Director.
The road map includes milestones for:
- Raising capacities of the nature conservation organizations’ staff,
- Patrolling snow leopard and Altai mountain sheep habitats,
- Ensuring efficient material capacity of the protected areas,
- Annual census of flagship species (snow leopard and Altai argali),
- International and interregional meetings on rare species monitoring and conservation,
- Herders-snow leopard conflict (setting electric fences, repairing corrals, awareness raising among herders, herders’ dogs),
- Environmental education of the local people through Land of Snow Leopard festival, sports events, media, youth),
- International cooperation, public council.